Monday 20 May 2013

Review- Burn For Burn (Jenny Han & Siobhan Vivian)

Synopsis 
BIG GIRLS DON'T CRY...
THEY GET EVEN.

Lillia has never had any problems dealing with boys who like her. Not until this summer, when one went too far. No way will she let the same thing happen to her little sister.
Kat is tired of the rumours, the insults, the cruel jokes. It all goes back to one person– her ex-best friend– and she's ready to make her pay.
Four years ago, Mary left Jar Island because of a boy. But she's not the same girl anymore. And she's ready to prove it to him.
Three very different girls who want the same thing: sweet, sweet revenge. And they won't stop until they each had a taste.  

-Goodreads.com



My Review


I didn’t know how much I was going to enjoy this book, especially since the last book I read was so damn good, and I was left with high expectations. But this book surprised me, in a good way. What started out as a typical high-school tale soon evolved into a devilishly delightful read that had me reading furiously to find out all the juicy details...By page 50, I was completely taken over.

Without giving too much away, the story follows Kat, Mary and Lillia. Three girls from very different social circles, who have been wronged in some way and are seeking revenge. Together, they devise ways of getting back at the wrong-doers, but not everything is smooth sailing. 

I really liked how the authors gave small snippets of past events, which were the driving force behind what was happening.  They did it in such a way that left you wanting and begging for more. I felt at times there could have been more description with the writing, in regard to scenery and atmosphere. As at times it felt like too much dialogue. But the point of the story was about revenge and was character driven. So the lack of description didn’t impede the story at all, it just would have been a nice touch in my opinion.  
Now and then the characters did feel a little stereotypical Lillia the smart driven Asian, Mary the strange mysterious new girl, and Kat the grungy stoner outcast who use to be popular. However the authors did a good job of trying to show the characters in other lights as well. Proving to the reader that even though society has deemed them each a stereotype, there is more to a person than meets the eye.

My biggest let down for this book, and the reason it got bumped down to only a 3.5 instead of its intended 4, is the introduction of fantasy type elements near the end. The book was fine without them, and I honestly see no reason to add them as the story was strong enough without them.  But then again I’m not the author, and I don’t know where the book’s headed, it may be an integral part of the story?...Maybe?

Things I loved about the book:

  • The different perspectives, it worked for this book and was essential to the story-line.
  • The flashbacks of each characters back-story; the reason they want revenge. 

Things I didn't enjoy so much about the book:

  • The fantasy elements...that’s pretty much the only thing I REALLY disliked. They just seemed to random, and didn't feel like they fit with the story I was expecting. 

Overall
Would I buy this book: I don't know yet, the fantasy stuff really put me off, but if the author took it somewhere interesting then I would consider buying the series..
 
Would I recommend this book: Yes. It's a quick, easy read, that's hard to put down. If your a fan of YA, it's must read.

Will I read the next one: Yes, the ending kind of left on a cliffhanger, and it's one of those books that you really want to find out what happens next. Plus the synopsis for 'Fire with Fire' sounds amazeballs!

My rating: 3.5/5

2 comments:

  1. Great review, Elle! It is funny that we posted a review for this one on the same day (with the same rating and gripes, no less). Like I'd said, I actually read this one twice--I read it when it first came out and then I listened to it on audio last week. The fantasy element wasn't nearly as disturbing the second time (because I was expecting it, I guess) and I cannot wait to read the second book now.
    -Natalie @Natflix&Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's totally random with the fantasy stuff mixed in at the end. I wouldn't have pegged this as that type of book. I see where you are coming from with that. I would rather this just be a regular contemporary YA book. It does sound awesome and it seemed like even if the characters were pretty typical that their stories and personalities meshed well. I've only read one Jenny Han book and it was a little kid's book so it'll be interesting to see how her writing changes. Definitely will try to read this book. I'm in need of a light, quick read. Lovely review (:

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...