Sunday 4 January 2015

Review- Anatomy of a Boyfriend (Daria Snadowsky)


Anatomy of a Boyfriend (Anatomy, #1)

Synopsis

Before this all happened, the closest I'd ever come to getting physical with a guy was playing the board game Operation. Okay, so maybe that sounds pathetic, but it's not like there were any guys at my high school who I cared to share more than three words with, let alone my body.

Then I met Wes, a track star senior from across town. Maybe it was his soulful blue eyes, or maybe my hormones just started raging. Either way, I was hooked. And after a while, he was too. I couldn't believe how intense my feelings became, or the fact that I was seeing—and touching—parts of the body I'd only read about in my Gray's Anatomy textbook. You could say Wes and I experienced a lot of firsts together that spring. It was scary. It was fun. It was love.
And then came the fall.
  Goodreads.com


My Review

Hearing that this book had been compared to ‘Forever’ by Judy Blume, I was literally brimming with excitement. I first read Forever at the tender age of 12 as an inexperienced tween, who got excited at the mere hint of a ‘naughty’ scene in a book…and well Judy Blume’s Forever definitely delivered on that account. However Anatomy of a Boyfriend just didn’t quite do it for me. I think before I even picked it up I knew that this book just wasn’t going to be for me, but I’d seen it around plenty and thought I would give it a shot anyway.

To start the main character was whiny and completely lovesick, and reading from her perspective was frustrating. What probably annoyed me the most though was the instant puppy love, which developed quickly into the main character feeling she was falling in love with the male protagonist. I realise though that having read this book at my current age of wisdom and life experience (yes the ripe old age of 24) incites a clearly different reaction than my 12 year old self who no doubt would have devoured this book and all its naughty bits…..which I didn’t even get up to because I just couldn’t keep reading for the sheer will to live. 

Overall, this may have been a great book. But it clearly wasn’t aimed at my age group, and I obviously lack the skill to retrograde back into my tweens where I more than likely would have enjoyed it. 

My rating: 1/5 (DNF)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...