Friday 9 January 2015

Review- Premeditated (Josin L. Mcquein)


Premeditated 

Synopsis

A week ago, Dinah’s cousin Claire cut her wrists.
Five days ago, Dinah found Claire’s diary and discovered why.
Three days ago, Dinah stopped crying and came up with a plan.
Two days ago, she ditched her piercings and bleached the black dye from her hair.
Yesterday, knee socks and uniform plaid became a predator’s camouflage.
Today, she’ll find the boy who broke Claire.
By tomorrow, he’ll wish he were dead.


  Goodreads.com


My Review 


When  I first added this book to my TBR there was more than a year to wait until its release. During this wait more and more books were added to the list, and by the time the book was released the excitement had kind of worn off. Forward another year later and I finally got around to reading it, as luck just happened to place it at my local library, bringing it back to the forefront of my mind and reminding me of all the suspense and anticipation I had felt reading the blurb that first time, and boy was it worth the wait.

The book focuses around Dinah and her plan to exact vengeance on the rich prep school boy who broke her cousins heart, driving her to attempt to take her own life. While her cousin remains in critical condition in the hospital, Dinah along with the help of her two misfit friends begin down the dark road of revenge. Dinah starts off be enrolling in her cousins prep school, and completely changing herself in order to fit in with the rich kids, in hopes of befriending the boy in question so she can fulfill her plans of making his life a living hell. But not everyone appears as they seem, and sometimes the devil you think you know, may not be the devil at all.

"Killing someone's easier than you think. All it takes is a decision, aim and follow through...Revenge on the other hand, and I mean real, calculated, make him sorry he was ever born vengeance, takes time, planning, and patience."
Josin L. Mcquein (Premeditated)

One thing I really liked about Dinah's character, besides the fact that she's pretty badass, is that despite wanting revenge she has a moral compass. It's like there's a war that's going on inside her; kind of a devil and angel on the shoulder scenario which the author writes so perfectly. On one hand she wants to protect her cousin and cause pain to the boy who hurt her, but on the other she knows that on some level two wrongs don't make a right, and causing more pain won't help her cousin.

The plot twist was relatively easy to pick up, I wasn't sure what it was exactly but I had a fair idea. Although the author kept me reading right till the end, eager to see how everything was going to be revealed in the end. The book definitely had elements of suspense and mystery, maybe not quite as much as the synopsis leads you to believe, and it all had a rather 'John Tucker Must Die' feel to it but a little edgier with darker undertows. 

Overall I really enjoyed the book. I liked the authors writing style, and the last few paragraphs of the book were just the perfect way to end it. 

Things I loved about the book:

  • The main characters internal struggle with the morality of what she is doing wa sfantastic and completely believable. I liked that she wasn't just a robot doing things without some semblance of a conscience. 
  • The ending! Both the plot twist and the last couple paragraphs.

Things I didn't so much like about the book:

  •  There were parts that were a little slow, but the mystery kept you going. 

My rating: 5/5
 

If you wanted to get someone back, how would you go about it?


1 comment:

  1. I am so with you on this book!! I put this on my TBR WAY before it came out and was really excited about it. And I still have not gotten to it yet. I feel like I'm getting to the point where I want to read it again... and I was glad to see it pop up on my blog feed. Thanks for reminding me and I'm glad you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...